Tracking, testing and improving all starts with a series of questions
The performance of a website is not obvious. We always recommend adding an analytics package to your website; like Google Analytics. In this package you set goals that update automatically each time there is a successful goal conversion. Tracking this way ensures you don't get bogged down with the statistics; instead you check how many of your goals have been met over a selected period.
Getting Facebook likes is one thing, but how much monetary value your Facebook page delivers is more important. Has your Facebook page influenced any buying decisions from your customers? Do you know what influenced them the most? Setting up a Facebook page to work with other digital assets can give you these answers and a lot more. We'll show you how.
We can have a discussion on the pros and cons of digital advertising but only one thing will tell you if it will work; testing. With digital you can test your assumptions and get the answers. Not only can you find out what works and what doesn't, you can improve on what works and make it even better.
Test to establish what works and what doesn't
With traditional style advertising such as newspapers and printed materials the word failure often sends a shiver down your spine as you know it will cost you a lot of money in reprinting fees.
Digital is different. We can track and test an advert, a web page; a Facebook page or even one heading or advert against another. Being able to track almost any element in digital provides you with information you didn't have before.
The new word is, 'test' and test often but know what you are testing for and we can help you to do just that.
It's no good testing unless you know what you are testing for. Do you want more enquiries, more bookings or more sales. Setting goals is something used in digital media all the time. These goals can be automatically evaluated, reported on and shared with you and your colleagues.
In digital media a goal equates to some sort of pre-determined action you want people to take when visiting one of your digital assets—Facebook page or website for example. It could be something as simple as clicking a buy now button or a booking or an enquiry button. It could be how many people click your subscribe to your newsletter button. Just about any content can be tested.
0%Exceeded Sales Budget
But analytics packages do more than just record actions or goals. You can see how people behave with your content to see if they are interested or not. You will see what content works for your audience and what doesn't. You can also get demographic information into the age and location of your visitors.
Use Insights gained from your data to improve your promotional efforts and results
Everything on the Internet is content: software, product or service descriptions, booking forms etc. The data will provide you with insights into how people are behaving towards your content. The data can also help you identify areas; geographic, customer and product related that you should pay closer attention to.
There's good reason for Facebook's success. This is just a small sampling of what you can track on the Facebook Advertising Platform:
- You can track location, demographics, interests, behaviour and connections.
- Tracking allows you to target people on Facebook you already have a relationship with, people who may have visited your website for instance.
- Remarketing allows you to show adverts to people who may have visited your Facebook page or website in the past.
Tracking an advertising campaign yields results above and beyond anything you can do with conventional advertising:
- Find search terms related to the product or service you offer before you advertise.
- You can see what your audience has searched for to arrive at your website.
- Only show your adverts to people that are actively searching for your product or service.
- Find out how many people clicked on your advert and what they did after that?
- And much, much more!
If you've been sending emails to your customer base the old way, using an email client like outlook you are going to be blown away with what you can do using a professional email platform like MailChimp.
The list on the right is just a very small sample of what you can do with a MailChimp email marketing campaign.
- See who opens your emails and who doesn't.
- Which of your links within your email did the receiver click on?
- Was your email forwarded to anyone else?
- From all the emails sent, what percentage of recipients opened their message?
- Did you get any hard bounces? This can point to out-of-date email accounts.
Continue Making Improvements
And the winner is? B
Go with the free sign up!
A/B Split Testing
Continued improvement sounds like a hassle and a lot of work doesn't it?
Automation to the rescue. With split testing you can virtually and automatically compare two of almost any digital element:
- One advert compared to another
- One heading compared to another
- One paragraph or image compared to another
If you ever wondered if what you were doing was the best way to do it you will love split testing. Run the test and let the software check what the people respond to the best.